Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Post Surgery

Post surgery

August 2, 2011 at 9:07am
Ahhhh I have so much to say! I have a whole, amazing and hard week of camp to catch you all up on, but I’m afraid my brain is sort of focused on the fresh scar on my chest.

Yesterday I went in for my 7th surgery.  I think by now I can confidently say I’m old hat at this, but that doesn’t really make it any less painful.   I was really praying that God would allow me to be a bright spot in my medical staff’s day and I really feel like He was faithful in that.  I was awake for the procedure this time and I got to joke and laugh with everyone.   I had a surgeon in training in my room who was less than thrilled about the idea of sticking up the inside of my body.  I had fun talking him into taking the knife in his hand.  It seems fine at the time, but it’s funny looking back on it. I think a good general rule of thumb is that you should never talk ANYONE into cutting you up. If they don’t want to do it, don’t let them do it. J  Ha! But I’m glad I talked him into it.  Obviously I can’t see the inside of my body, but it felt like he did a good job.  I was happy to be able to encourage him. It was fun.  

This surgery was quite the experience because I wasn’t in a ton of pain during the procedure but I felt every cut and stitch.  The doc liked me so he explained things as he went and laughed at all my strange questions.  They took the port out (Which they had trouble with) and then stitched up three places inside my body to close the vain and flesh and then (And this part doesn’t make much sense to me at all) they closed up the wound in three layers.  This part took forever and was rather painful as my meds were wearing off by this time.  But they pumped me back up and I was feeling rather great by the time I got to the recovery room.  I was blessed to have both my parents and an unexpected guest there to greet me.   My friend Alex (For those of you who are wondering, I mean Church Alex) gets 10 million points for stopping in to see me.  He was a nice distraction from the pain and turns out he is a pretty good wheelchair… ummm I mean “pod racer” driver. J

On the way home I was starving which hasn’t happened in about a month so I ate a big salad (Left handed because I’m just cool like that) and then when I got home I ate some more.  This happens every time I have surgery that I’m starving later that day.  It was nice to enjoy food for a bit but I’m really paying for it today. Fighting to not throw up since that could rip stitches and I’m thinking hurt like a cuss word.

Today I’m in a ton of pain and really weary but I’m so far doing better than I had expected.  As long as I sleep a lot and stay distracted when I’m awake (Hence this note) then I should be ok I think.

I have to be really careful for about a week with my right side and arm.  Tomorrow night I get to take the bandage off and clean the wound a bit. Both looking forward to and dreading that.

Thank you all so much for your prayers and notes of encouragement. I’m really behind on writing you all back, so please be gracious with me over the next few weeks as I try and catch up.
I honestly mean it when I say that I love you all.  You were made in God’s image and that is really evident in how much you have blessed by life.
Be in peace!
Whit

No comments:

Post a Comment