Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Pictures of the past

As I've rearranged my room I have slowly been rearranging all the pictures that I have up. This seems like a simple thing, but it's been really emotional for me. There are so many pictures up of people I don't really have a connection to anymore, but it's hard for me to let go of things and for whatever reason, taking down their picture feels so final.  Unfortunately keeping pictures of past friends up means that there isn't room to put up pictures I'm currently connected to.  The more I think about it the more I realize that my pictures are a perfect metaphor for my life.  Sometimes I hold onto the past so tightly that there isn't room for a real future. I take up all my emotional space with things that have long since passed and forget to enjoy and deal with the now.

Lord, please teach me to not harbor the past but simply leave it at Your feet. Teach me to embrace the now and the future even if it's scary and undefined. Thank You for taking people out of my life who don't need to be there and for always being faithful to give me the relationships I need. You are faithful!

1 comment:

  1. Whitney, just because you take the pictures down and put away doesn't mean that they are not your friends and that you will forget them. God will bring them back into your life when the time comes, unless they are already at Home with Him!
    We have renewed so many friends from East Jordan that we ministered to when we were there from 1971-1983. It's neat to have them as friends on face book and keep in touch as to what's happening in their life and to read encouraging words from them of how we helped them when we were their pastor there. God bless you my dear child. I hope to see you soon but pain is still a factor in traveling that far right now. Love and prayer. Grandma Turner

    ReplyDelete