Saturday, February 12, 2011

Pictures


A few weeks ago I was asked to make a picture board of my medical journey to put up at the benefit dinner being held for me later this month.  I thought this would be a fun project and no problem.  I’ve procrastinated about it since I didn’t think it would be a big deal, but today I decided to get cracking.  What started out as a fun art project has turned into a rather strange emotional process.  I started out by sorting through hundreds of pictures in a file marked “health stuff”.  Looking at them on a screen in one thing but after printing some I’m holding all these memories in my hands now and it just feels so strange.  Yes, there are a lot of happy pictures like playing in the giant revolving door with my friend Bri at Cleveland Clinic, but most of the pictures bring up bad memories of hours spent in the ER and surgery prep. The one thing that really stands out to me in all the pictures is that I’ve adapted. You give a human enough time, and we can get used to just about anything.  I got used to the braces and crutches. I got used to the lines hanging out my arms and neck. I got used to masks and gloves.  In so many ways I’ve gotten used to being sick.




Now, the question is… is this a good thing?

It's been a long 5 years!

No comments:

Post a Comment