Tuesday, February 15, 2011

The waiting room is a strange place to wait

Being in a waiting room for 6 hours proves to be a very interesting experience. My first observation is that it’s really uncomfortable. Those chairs are so not designed for long term sitting.  Observation # 2 is that the glass partition between the lobby and the registration desk is not sound proof.  I now know the names, addresses and social security numbers of about 30 people. #3 is that people do some pretty strange things when they have time to kill before getting their blood taken. One man broke up with his girlfriend over the phone, VERY LOUDLY on Valentines day. (And he really liked the F word.) One old couple wouldn’t stop kissing which kind of made me happy, but was also a little uncomfortable. A one legged man felt the need to yell everything he ever said to anyone.  The business woman’s face was hilarious to watch as she tried to not laugh at America Dad playing on the TV.  It seemed that half the people who came in had something inappropriate to say into their cell phones for all of us to hear.  No one seemed strong enough to open the heavy door on the first try which seemed to delight the on looking nurses.  One of my favorite moments of the day was when a nurse slid open the glass door and stumbled her way through saying “Is there a Mr. Umm… well… a Mr. Gory here?”. We all had a good chuckle as the man stood and informed her that his name was Gary.  How did she not guess that?
When we first arrived in the waiting room, a male nurse came running out the EMPLOYEES ONLY door, through the lobby, down the hall and to the bathroom. Now, I’ve been in the ER when people were dying and I have never seen a nurse move so fast. I so laughed out loud when he came back through and I thought to myself “He is so going to end up being my nurse. Sure enough, he was the first nurse I saw. Good, old Eddy!  It was so hard not to laugh at him as his hands shook nervously and he kept saying  “I’m so sorry Hun. I’m so sorry”. You would have thought he was trying to take blood from Heidi Clum.  I have a nice bruise on my arm from that man’s shaky hands.  As the day went on he seemed to calm down and we went from nervousness to a somewhat confident slight flirtation and over attentiveness.  Ahhh men crack me up!  The day ended on a high as one of my nurses sang “Pizza or Chinese? Pizza or Chinese?” after discussing the fact that I was now aloud to eat things. She was so funny! 

The day had it’s Long, annoying moments, but over all it was kind of fun to watch people come in and out and make up stories in my head about why there were there.   Nine hours after leaving the house, Dad and I got home at last and I flopped into bed. I slept for a little while and woke up feeling so horrible. It ended up being one of those night where I feel the need to tell everyone I love them, just in case I die or slip into a coma or something. (I know, I’m so dramatic)  Today I am laying low, but feeling much much better. I go back to the docs on Friday to talk about the results of everything. I know this sounds silly but I am really hoping they have found something wrong. Invisible, no name pain is just annoying. I want a reasonable explanation as to why I am not getting better.
God knows and He will provide answers when and if I need them. He’s just cool like that.
Thanks everybody for your prayers.
I really do love you all. (Dying or not ;-)


1 comment:

  1. Wow! What a day, Whit!!! I'll be praying that God will lead them in the right direction so that they can figure out everything that is in need of friguring :) I have a feeling that God isn't through with you yet :) He has a great plan for you so that you can be a light to lead others to Him. Just as God has started a great work in me with the healing in my eyes, he CAN also do that for you as well. Just keep on doing what you are doing and trust in Him and cast everything down at His feet because He cares for you <3 You are such an AWESOME person of inspiration to me and so many others as well.

    I LOVE YOU GIRL!!!!!

    ReplyDelete